We have split the list into different areas in order to make it easier to find the conversation you want to take part in.
Support Needs List for Hearing
The needs on the current list under the category of “hearing” are as follows. As you will see, they have been grouped according to the kind of interaction you are having with an institution.
Writing to me
- Send in Easy Read format
- I cannot speak on the phone – do not call me
- When calling me use Relay UK
- When I call you I need to use Relay UK
- I use text-to-speech software to communicate
- I cannot attend meetings in person
- I need longer appointments
- I have someone that will accompany me to provide support.
- I have an assistance dog that will accompany me.
- I prefer to meet in a quiet space (if available)
- I prefer to meet in an open area with people around (if available)
- I need a BSL interpreter to be present.
- I require a hearing loop
- I lip read – please face me when speaking
- I require a manual deaf-blind interpreter to be present
- I have someone who helps me make decisions*
*Some list items need to have sub choices in order to provide the level of clarity required for institutions to make the change you need. In this case “I have someone who helps me make decisions” has the extra choice “I’d like to set up third party access to my account.”
If there are support needs you would like to suggest, you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment for discussion on this page.
We view all comments before they are published to sure they meet the project’s code of conduct, which you can view here. We welcome open discussion, but it is important that for safety and data protection reasons we moderate comments that may contain sensitive personal information. We are also aware that many people are, with very good reason, angry about past and present experiences. This project is aimed at improving experiences, but to do that it is important to maintain dialogue in a respectful way. We also recognise that power does not rest equally between all stakeholders in this project, and do not wish those who might be perceived as having more power to be seen as intimidating those who have less.
What kind of support need to suggest
- specific – specific enough that if someone is told, they will know what action to take
- include any additional information that might be helpful – such as assistive technology that you know/use, or particular ways that organizations have met that need that have really worked